Subscribe:

Pages

Wednesday 27 March 2002

Sometimes it's just a small thing. But small things are the ones that matter most, isn't it? Last night it was the remote control for the TV. No, I do not demand to have the control. We weren't even watching TV. It was a movie. Some movie she suggested, actually. Nothing special. "Romeo Must Die", it was. Things were fine. I was watching the movie, she was sitting on the sofa, reading a book and writing some notes, not really watching the movie.

At a certain moment, when the movie was almost finished - another five or ten minutes to go, I'd say - she reached for the remote control and lowered the volume considerably. Just like that! No comments, no questions, just got the remote, lowered the volume and put it back on the centre table where it first was.

That really got me and I kept saying to myself: - I won't say anything, I won't say anything, I WON'T SAY ANYTHING... Well, it did not work. It was the climax of the movie and the volume was, though good enough to listen, too low to give it the punch it needed. If I was to get the remote and pump up the volume, it would look childish. So I had to say: - This was very rude of you, you know? Lowering the volume like this, without asking. Then she said "it was too loud" (she was the one to put the movie and set things for us to watch!) and it all started again.

As usual, we made peace in bed, before getting to sleep. But while she was already fast asleep, I was still staring at the ceiling, still thinking of our lives together...

0 comments: