Subscribe:

Pages

Wednesday 15 December 2010

How to be an interesting person.

I was contemplating my own personal life and thinking about people I know when I realized; what makes your life interesting, what makes you an interesting person is not so much what you do but the sum of what you did.

I know, it sounds weird - if not just plain obvious - but think about it for a moment. So what if you have an interesting job? Isn't it far more interesting to have had the opportunity to visit Nepal, for example? So what if your house is built using the latest methods in ‘green living’? Wouldn't it make for longer conversation if it had been built in sacred ground, next to an ancient indian cemetery or burial ground?

I might be wrong or just mistaken but I thinking an ‘easy’ life hardly makes for an interesting one. If you finished your studies, married your high school sweetheart, had a kid or two and lived happily ever after, good for you. That is a good thing, I am not saying it isn't. But… How interesting would a story of your life be if put in a book? Who would want to read about you? Where's the fun? Where's the adventure? And if you find yourself thinking back about your life, like I did, and the most exciting moment you can remember was when you bought yourself your first 0Km car… Damn, isn't that sad?

Sure we all dream with a trouble-free life but you only truly lived if you managed to survive life's tribulations and have plenty of stories to tell.

Then again, that's just me. What do I know?

0 comments: