Subscribe:

Pages

Thursday 5 February 2004

What happened to the Muslim pride?

Will someone please tell me? They are so religious and self righteous, shouldn’t they take responsibility for their own “goods and bads”? I have this feeling Muslims are always blaming other people for the poor management of their own countries. Their own poor management. Let me explain...

Remember the water dispute between Singapore and Malaysia? How Malaysia was playing the 'Oh, they are soon mean to us' kind of act? Remember I told you about Malaysian’s benefits in Singapore? How the government protect their rights ensuring they always have spaces in schools and apartment flats?

Well, here I am in Jakarta, a rundown version of Malaysia with things working pretty much the same way (Good Lord! Can this be?). I meet this guy, very intelligent, very eloquent and we start talking about the country a bit. Five minutes into the conversation he starts bashing Japan and Korea. "These guys come here and steal our mineral resources", he says. Conversation goes on. Another 3 minutes and he says "Yeah, that Bali incident was indeed bad. It is not right to kill people, but did you know that bar that was bombed was a bar just for white people? They would not allow locals or anyone who was not either Australian or American, the WASPs, to go in. And they treated the local community very badly"... I just listen. "You would not be allowed in either!", he finally states referring to my gorgeously sexy sun-tanned skin (Erm... Sorry about this last burst of auto-appraisal).

The conversation goes on and he starts bashing someone else... I start thinking - What the heck!?

But he did defend someone. He defended women from a certain region. Word of mouth says they are lazy and he was explaining this is not exactly accurate. He said those women wake up at 3am to go to the farms. They work until sun-rise and them return home to sleep some more. That is why they are asleep until 1 or 2pm. Then, foreigners unfairly say they are lazy. Well, given the circumstances, I agreed it would be unfair label them without proper understanding of their life style. Nevertheless, after he had bad mouthed so many nationalities, I did not put much effort on my agreement and understanding.

I'm a jerk, I know...

0 comments: