Subscribe:

Pages

Friday 6 June 2003

Oh, yeah! I forgot to mention. Yesterday, shortly after I arrived, when I was going through immigration, this cute immigration officer was all smiles for me. Not the one checking my passport, the other one, working on the next counter. When I finally noticed (gee, I am so dumb for this kind of things) I greeted her in Thai, just to show off a bit. Most people like it when foreigners show interest in their culture and she was no exception. She started to talk to me in Thai, very pleased at my attempt, now with a spark in the eyes and even broader smile.

Of course, almost immediately I ran out of vocabulary so I apologized, again in Thai, and explained I could not speak the language; just knew enough to greet people and give directions to taxi drivers. Then she laughed (woohoo!!!). There I was, shamelessly flirting with the cute lady at the immigration counter and wondering if I could get into trouble for doing so. The quick chat came to a point that she actually left her post and came closer to talk to me.

Unfortunately, the officer attending to my documents was done with her checking and stamping, so she cut our conversation short. I was disappointed but had to go. And this is where I failed miserably: I said "goodbye, nice meeting you" and left. Am I stupid or what? Gee, how could I be so clueless? Any other guy would have found a way to contact her again, right? I could at least have given her my business card, so she could call, perhaps. But didn't think fast enough. No such presence of spirit. I am helpless. And I suck at these flirting games. Now I can only hope I see her again next time...

0 comments: